The Virginia HPV Immunization Taskforce (VHIT), a priority workgroup of the Cancer Action Coalition of Virginia, is focused on increasing HPV vaccination rates in Virginia. Taskforce members include medical providers, school employees and members of health care systems and non-profit organizations. VHIT members meet quarterly.
VHIT Action Plan 2023-2027
The VHIT Action Plan aims to provide a roadmap of priorities and strategies as we work to increase HPV immunization as identified in the Virginia Cancer Plan throughout the Commonwealth of Virginia.
Action Plan Priorities and Goals
PRIORITY ONE: DECREASE COMMUNITY DISPARITIES IN HPV VACCINATION
- Goal 1: Reach 80% of ages 13-15 receiving a complete 2-dose series of HPV vaccine
- Goal 2: Concerning Social Determinants of Health (SDoH), increase the use of evidence-based interventions (EBIs) to improve HPV vaccination uptake and completion rates
PRIORITY TWO: IMPROVE DELIVERY OF EVIDENCE-BASED STRATEGIES IN PROVIDING HPV VACCINE
- Goal 1: Make an effective and presumptive recommendation
- Goal 2: Incorporate standing orders
- Goal 3: Use electronic health records (EHR) and allied health staff to prompt providers
- Goal 4: Implement patient reminder and recall systems
- Goal 5: Implement systems and practice changes to avoid missed vaccination opportunities
PRIORITY THREE: INCREASE (COMPILE) HPV DATA QUALITY AND SHARING
- Goal 1: Develop Data Source and Compilation Strategy
- Goal 2: Utilize VIIS and bidirectional exchange with EMR/EHR for the most up-to-date information. Increase awareness of VA Code that ALL vaccinations administered in ANY facility MUST be reported to VIIS
- Goal 3: Complete HPV vaccination/cancer dashboard, including social vulnerability index for providers and public to access
PRIORITY FOUR: INCREASE AWARENESS OF THE BURDEN OF HPV-RELATED CANCERS IN MEN AND WOMEN
- Goal 1: Align VHIT with the 2023-2027 Virginia Cancer Plan (VCP)
- Goal 2: Create a statewide platform for HPV information to build confidence, improve awareness, and increase engagement and education all leading to growth in immunizations
- Goal 3: Engage specialty care providers, oral health community, and providers serving military to promote prevention and vaccine awareness
- Goal 4: Promote awareness of oral, head and neck cancer including prevention related to HPV
- Goal 5: Increase awareness of VA Code on Immunization of School Children
Interested in learning more or joining VHIT? Contact us at email@example.com.